Spatial Leaders from Around the Globe Converge on SDSC19
The Spatial Data Science Conference 2019 brings together leaders from industry, government, and academia for a day of panels and discussions on the latest technologies and techniques.
The 3rd annual Spatial Data Science Conference is just three weeks away and we couldn't be more excited. Being held at Columbia University this year's iteration of the foremost conference on spatial data science is set to be the biggest one yet.
The one-day event co-organized by The University of Chicago's Center for Spatial Data Science features dozens of speakers and panelists from across industry government and academia. Truly a global event The Spatial Data Science Conference features attendees joining us from around the world. Take a look our attendees mapped below:
With the conference located in the city's backyard at Columbia University NYC will be well represented:
Talks and Panels You Won't Want To Miss
In addition to several opportunities to network hundreds of leaders and professionals the event features 24 distinct sessions. With topics ranging from infectious disease intervention to spatial modeling for optimized network design SDSC19 has something for everyone.
Speakers joining us for SDSC include:
- Jack Linshi - Data Scientist - Airbnb - A member of Airbnb's Homes Platform team Jack shares details on his work developing scalable products to help in regions where short-term rental regulations apply.
- Dunia Simunovic - Global Head of Real Estate Data & Insights - WeWork - Dunia's work focuses on building tools to optimize WeWork's pre-opening scale and speed.
- Danil Kirsanov - Engineering Manager - Facebook - Working on machine learning problems with Facebook's Spatial Computing group Danil holds a PhD in Applied Math from Harvard and has previously worked at Microsoft and MathWorks.
- Neera Chatterjee - Product Manager - Instacart - As part of Instacart's Emerging Products team Neera leads geographic and category expansions for the grocery delivery and e-commerce company. Don't miss her talk "From Growth Hacking to Growth Mapping."
- Carolina Pinzón - Business Analyst - Waze - As a data scientistat Waze Carolina is experienced in leading end-to-end analytics projects to translate obscure and unstructured data into business insights.
- Esteban Moro - Professor - MIT - Esteban a visiting professor at MIT's Media Lab will be sharing details of their Atlas of Inequality project building an inequality metric to capture how unequal the incomes of visitors are to distinct places.
- Rayne Gaisford - Head of Data Strategy - Jefferies - Rayne leads data acquisition and analysis for Jefferies one of the world's largest financial services firms as a part of their Equity Research division.
Pre-conference Data Science Workshops
In addition to a day filled with talks from the cutting edge of spatial data science and networking opportunities (not to mention the post-event happy hour) registrants for the conference also have access to a series of interactive workshops the day before the conference:
- An Introduction to Spatial Data Science with R with Edzer Pebesma: This workshop will give an introduction to the R-spatial software ecosystem its history and recent developments. It will discuss spatial feature data raster data spatio-temporal data movement data show examples and discuss future developments. It will also point to places for further reading finding software packages and asking questions.
- Using CARTOframes in your Spatial Data Science Workflows with Andy Eschbacher: CARTO's Lead Data Scientist and CARTOframes creator Andy Eschbacher will host a workshop that introduces basic spatial data science workflows to show how to get more information out of geodata including exploratory spatial data analysis spatial lag and spatial error models as well as dynamic visualization of model outputs in a map in a notebook.
Places are limited and available to SDSC attendees only so register today and grab a spot. Once you are signed up for the conference you'll receive an email detailing how you can register for the workshops.
Special thanks to Mamata Akella CARTO's Head of Cartography for her support in the creation of the maps in this post.
Check out the full agenda and register today!