The CARTO Editor is a user-friendly dashboard that enables you to manage your datasets and apply advanced styling features to your map visualizations. When you login to CARTO, the dashboard displays toolbar options enabling you to navigate around the CARTO Editor.
The CARTO menu items vary, depending if you are accessing the drop-down menu from your dashboard, or from your public profile page. Click the icon located on the far right of the CARTO dashboard to view your account name, view the amount of used data for your account, and to access other account and public profile options. You can also close the CARTO Dashboard from this menu item.
Your Datasets Dashboard
Click Your datasets from the dashboard drop-down menu.
The page refreshes displaying a list of your datasets. From your datasets dashboard, you can:
- Search your repository of datasets by name or metadata tags
- View any datasets that you have “Liked”
- Use the Data library to connect to a public dataset and create a map
- Connect a dataset with the NEW DATASET button
- Manage your datasets by changing the sort order, applying dataset privacy options, defining dataset metadata, and deleting datasets
- View the DATA VIEW or the MAP VIEW from a selected dataset, as shown in the Viewing Datasets section
Your Locked Datasets
To prevent your data from undesired changes, you can lock a dataset and hide it from your dashboard. For details, see the Frequently Asked Questions about how to lock a dataset or map.
Your Maps Dashboard
Click Your maps from the dashboard drop-down menu.
The page refreshes displaying a list of your maps. From your maps dashboard, you can:
- Search your repository of maps by name or metadata tags
- View any maps that you have “Liked”
- Change the sort order of your maps by date, visits, or by likes
- Create a map with the NEW MAP button, which opens the Add datasets options to quickly create a map
- Manage select maps by using the shortcut options to Add description, Add tags, change the map privacy options, or like a map
- View the DATA VIEW or the MAP VIEW from a selected map to access the Edit Map Options
Your Locked Maps
To prevent your map from undesired changes, you can lock a map and hide it from your dashboard. For details, see the Frequently Asked Questions about how to lock a dataset or map.
Click GALLERY to view a gallery of maps created using CARTO.
Click DOCUMENTATION to open to open the CARTO documentation page.
The notification icon (a bell) displays any notifications about your account or the CARTO dashboard. It also provides a shortcut to access your public profile page.
Your Public Profile
Your public profile page displays your username and lists your shared maps and datasets. Note that the CARTO menu enables you to access your CARTO dashboard.
- Viewers can click on any of your public datasets and view a split screen of your dataset and the map. They can “like” your dataset, download it, use an API call to query the dataset with the SQL API, or edit the dataset in CARTO
Viewers can also click on any of your public maps and add comments, “like” your map, export the map as a .carto file, edit your map in CARTO, or share it using the Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn icons
Tip: If you are using a private dataset for a public map, the dataset details are hidden from your public profile page. Viewers can only see that you are using a private dataset for the selected map. Be mindful of your map privacy and dataset privacy options when creating maps and datasets in CARTO, as all public maps and datasets appear on your public profile page.
Click Your account (or Account settings) to view your CARTO profile account options.
Your API Keys
Click Your API keys to view your uniquely generated API key for requesting data with the CARTO Engine.
Note: API Keys are only available for certain account plans. Contact us if you have any questions about enabling the API Keys for your account.
Click Close session to log out of CARTO.