Analyze Barcelona Airbnb data with Builder analysis.
You will need to import the following dataset/s into your account:
- Barcelona Airbnb data:
airbnb_barcelona. You can download it from here.
- Barcelona building footprint and neighborhoods:
barris_barcelonacan be found in the CARTO Data Library.
- Create a map with
airbnb_barcelona(from your local machine), and
barris_barcelonadatasets (from the Data Library).
- Change the map title and layer names.
- Change basemap: click on “Positron” and then select “Dark Matter (Lite)”.
- Go to
Map Options(the slider button on the blue left sidebar), activate
- Go back to the main menu.
- Style “Airbnb” layer. Set
marker-widthto 2, remove
STROKEand set a
BLENDINGmethod such as
- Apply the following SQL query to the “Airbnb” layer in order to get the price as a numeric field:
SELECT *, substring(price FROM '[0-9]+')::numeric as price_num FROM listings_barcelona
- Add some widgets from the “Airbnb” layer (
number_of_reviews, for example). We will add widgets from the other two layers later. Edit them.
- Add an
Intersect and aggregateanalysis to the “Blocks” layer, and “Neighborhoods”. Set “Airbnb” as
- Add widgets for
n_barricolumns in the “Neighborhoods” layer. Try different aggregations and see how it affects the ordering in the widget.
ref_cadastwidget from “Blocks” layer. Use
COUNTas aggregation operation.
- Style “Blocks” and “Neighborhoods” as a choropleth. For each layer, go to the
STYLEtab. Then click on the
polygon-fillFILL color and select
BY VALUE. Select
count_vals_density. Set the number of
buckets, color scheme (but invert the colors! Lighter colors should show higher values in contrast to the dark basemap) and classification method as you wish.
We have selected
count_vals, because when we make a choropleth map with polygon layers, we need to use data which is normalized, in this case by the area.
- Edit the “Blocks” and “Neighborhoods” legends.
- Add a custom legend for the “Airbnb” layer. Go to the
LEGENDtab, then click on
CUSTOMand type “House/room”.
- Disable “Airbnb” and “Blocks” layers view.
- Publish the map: https://public.carto.com/builder/1fb4ae92-40a3-4df2-adca-e75707438d1a/embed