Terms of Service
The carto.com website is owned and operated by CartoDB, Inc. (the "Company," "we," or "us"). The website carto.com, services provided on the site, services made available via APIs, and map content we make available to you through carto.com are referred to collectively as "CARTO".
By using CARTO, you agree to be bound by these Terms of Service and any future modifications (collectively, the "Terms"). Please read the Terms carefully. If you do not agree to the Terms, you may not use CARTO. If you are using CARTO on behalf of an organization (a company, governmental agency, non-governmental organization), you agree to be bound by the Terms on behalf of yourself and such organization, and represent you have the authority to agree to these terms on behalf of such organization. If you do not have such authority, you may not use CARTO on behalf of such organization.
If you are a United States government user or otherwise using CARTO in a United States government capacity, these Terms are amended as described in our U.S. Government Terms Amendment.
- We grant you a non-exclusive, revocable, worldwide, non-transferable, non-sublicensable right and license to use CARTO to analyze and visualize data.
- If your plan includes access to CARTO APIs, we grant you a non-exclusive, revocable, worldwide, non-transferable, non-sublicensable right and license to develop online services and applications using CARTO APIs, and to make them available to your end users. API means an application program interface provided by the Company to you. Your license hereunder is solely for Non-Commercial Use. Non-Commercial Use means any use other than a Commercial Use, including use for Your internal applications.
- You must provide attribution in line with our documentation, available at https://carto.com/attributions. Some plans require you to display CARTO branding as outlined in our documentation. A subscription to a plan that includes removable branding does not waive your responsibility to provide attribution.
- In order to use CARTO, you must register for a User Account. User Account means a CARTO account allowing access to CARTO, accessible by you or your end users via a username and password.
- When using CARTO APIs, each request to an API must include your User Account’s unique API Key.
- You agree to carefully guard the security of your User Account and monitor the use of your API keys. You are responsible for all use of CARTO under your User Account, whether or not authorized, including any use of your API keys.
- You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your username and password or of any other breach of security and to comply with all reasonable requests we may make to change your username and/or password and otherwise respond to a security breach.
3. Charges and Payment
- The plan you choose governs the features of your account. Some plans require payment. We may charge your credit card on an ongoing basis in accordance with the plan you choose and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of CARTO.
- You will be billed on the first day of your paid subscription, and monthly or annually thereafter, unless and until you cancel your subscription. If your monthly subscription begins on a day that is not contained in subsequent renewal month, you will be billed on the last day of that month. For example, if your subscription began on March 31st, your billing dates for months that do not have 31 days would be the 30th.
- The Company is not responsible for any additional bank fees, interest charges, finance charges, overdraft charges, or other fees resulting from charges billed by the Company or the Reseller. Currency exchange settlements will be based on agreements between you and the provider of your credit card.
- All charges are non-refundable unless expressly stated otherwise, or otherwise provided by applicable law.
4. Your Content
- Your Content means content owned by or licensed to you that you store in CARTO. You retain ownership of all Content you own.
- You hereby grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable right and license (with the right to sublicense), to use, copy, cache, publish, display, distribute, modify, create derivative works, and store Your Content and to allow others to do so solely for the purpose of enabling your use of CARTO.
- We will not access, use or disclose Your Content without your permission, except as reasonably necessary to provide customer support to you, to troubleshoot your account or for any other purpose authorized by you.
- On termination of these Terms, we shall make commercially reasonable efforts to remove Your Content from CARTO in a timely manner; however, you recognize and agree that caching of or references to Your Content may not be immediately removed.
- We’re proud that you are a part of the CARTO community! You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-transferable license to use your trademarks, service marks, and logos for the purpose of identifying you as a CARTO customer in order to promote CARTO. Please let us if you prefer we not use your name or logo in a particular way, by emailing email@example.com, and we will of course respect your wishes.
- You may not remove or obscure the CARTO logo from the maps you make using CARTO.
6. Our Content and third-party Content
Other than Your Content, all content displayed on or accessible through CARTO, including text, graphics, maps, logos, images, illustrations, software or source code, audio and video, and animations, are the property of the Company and/or third parties and are protected by United States and international copyright laws. You may be held liable for any unauthorized copying or disclosing of this content. You agree that our licensors shall be third party beneficiaries to these Terms and that these entities may directly enforce, and may rely upon, any provision of the Terms that confers a benefit on them or grants rights in favor of them.
7. Acceptable Use
- You are solely responsible for any and all acts and omissions that occur under Your Account. You may not use CARTO for any unlawful purpose. Your use of CARTO must comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content.
- You may not use CARTO in any manner that could damage or overburden CARTO or interfere with any other party’s use of CARTO.
- You agree to not engage in the following unacceptable uses of CARTO:
- Disseminating or transmitting material that, to a reasonable person, may be abusive, obscene, pornographic, defamatory, harassing, grossly offensive, vulgar, threatening, or malicious;
- Disseminating, storing, or transmitting files, graphics, software, or other material that actually or potentially infringes on the copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other intellectual property right of any person;
- Creating a false identity or otherwise attempting to mislead any person as to the identity or origin of any communication;
- Exporting, re-exporting, or permitting downloading of any content in violation of any export or import law, regulation, or restriction of the United States and its agencies or authorities, or without all required approvals, licenses, or exemptions;
- Interfering with or attempting to gain unauthorized access to other accounts or any other computer network;
- Storing or transmitting viruses, trojan horses, or any other malicious code or program; or
- Engaging in any other activity deemed by the Company to be in conflict with the spirit or intent of these Terms.
8. Compliance with Laws & Privacy
9. Changes to CARTO
We may change the features and functions of CARTO, including APIs, over time. It is your responsibility to ensure that your use of CARTO is compatible with the then-current APIs. We will endeavor to avoid changes to our APIs that are not backward-compatible. If any such changes become necessary, we will use reasonable efforts to notify you prior to implementation.
We want to support your use of CARTO! We have many resources to help you learn CARTO, including our documentation, Map Academy, and StackOverflow community. Paid plans also include support via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
11. Limitations and Restrictions
Excessive use of SQL API
You may not exceed the maximum number of WRITE SQL statements per API call: 1,000 rows or 20MB of data (payload of an SQL API call), and a maximum frequency of API calls (1 every 10 seconds for the free plan, and 1 per second for all paid plans).
Reliance on Content
Map data and related content are provided for planning purposes only. You may find that events may cause the actual information to differ from the information displayed on the map. You should exercise judgment in your use of all content made available by or through CARTO. Map data and related content should not be used for navigation purposes of any type.
Your Content is stored in CARTO as tables of data. Your User Accounts have a maximum of 1,000 tables. If you need more tables after reaching this limit, please contact us at email@example.com
A CARTO Map is a visualization that incorporates a basemap and additional data stored in your CARTO Account. Usage of basemaps outside of a CARTO Map are subject to the limitations described in the Location Data Services Addendum.
Map Views means the loading of fifteen (15) tiles into a browser window. Unless otherwise agreed, Map Views are subject to the limitations described in the Location Data Services Addendum, available at https://carto.com/legal.
12. Location Data Services
- CARTO includes Location Data Services that utilize data from a variety of third parties (the “Third Party Data Providers”).
- A list of each of the Location Data Services, the applicable Third Party Data Providers, and the licenses by which the respective data is licensed can be found in the Location Data Service Addendum at https://carto.com/legal (the “Addendum”). You agree to abide by the terms of the Addendum and any Third Party Data Provider license associated with a Location Data Service that you use.
- You may not use any of the Location Data Services in any way not authorized by these terms, including without limitation, to develop a general database of locations or points of interest or any other general purpose database or to develop or test any service that would compete with any Location Data Service or an API that would compete with any Location Data Service.
- You understand that the Location Data Services Addendum may change from time to time. For example, we may add additional Third Party Data Providers and associated licenses. Each time your Users make use of the Location Data Services, they agree to abide by the then-current Location Data Services Addendum.
13. Use of CARTO for Real-Time Navigation
- The parties acknowledge that CARTO allows for the visualization and analysis of location data to produce dynamic maps and other visualizations that can be used to provide directions and similar results for a variety of commercial and consumer applications. Neither we nor our suppliers are responsible for any damages arising out of, relating to or that result from your use of CARTO, on its own or integrated with (or otherwise made a part of) any other software, sensors (or other hardware) or data to:
- provide real-time, turn-by-turn navigation for a vehicle of any type, whether automatically or autonomously (such as in an autonomous or semi-autonomous vehicle) or through voice-activated or other prompts, (such as those provided in connection with satellite navigation devices)
- display a dynamic or static map or visualization on a moving vehicle of any type, or
- operate, fly or otherwise a control manned or unmanned aircraft (collectively “Real Time Navigation”), without CARTO's prior written consent.
- Furthermore, you hereby agree to indemnify us pursuant to Section 16(a) below for any claims that arise from such use.
14. Intellectual Property Rights
- These Terms do not constitute a sale of Content or of CARTO or of any copy of the Content of CARTO. You acknowledge that, as between the Company and you, we are the owner of (or derive ownership title rights from third parties to) CARTO and the intellectual property content contained therein. You do not by these Terms acquire any such rights. You do not receive or acquire any proprietary rights therein. You may not use, access, or allow others to use or access the Content in any manner not permitted under the Terms.
- Certain content is provided under license from third parties, and is subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights owned or licensed by such third parties. We and our suppliers have the right to enforce such rights as contractual rights pursuant to these terms. You may be held liable for any unauthorized copying or disclosure of this content. You understand that when using CARTO you may be exposed to user submissions and other third party content from a variety of sources ("Non-Company Content"), and that you may be exposed to Non-Company Content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable. The Company does not endorse any Non-Company Content or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein. Under no circumstances will Company be liable in any way for or in connection with the Non-Company Content, including, but not limited to, any inaccuracies, errors, or omissions in any Non-Company Content, any intellectual property infringement with regard to any Non-Company Content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Non-Company Content posted, emailed, or otherwise displayed or transmitted through CARTO.
- We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you. The use of CARTO may not be transferred to anyone without our prior written consent. Any authorized transferee shall agree in writing to be bound by these Terms. In no event may you copy, loan, rent, time-share, sublicense, assign, transfer, lease, sell or otherwise dispose of the Company’s software, data, or other content on a temporary or permanent basis except as expressly provided herein.
- You may not, nor permit any third party to, modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works from, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code from CARTO other than those components subject to Open Source licenses.
- All logos and product names appearing on or in connection with CARTO are proprietary to the Company or its licensors and/or suppliers. You agree to never remove any proprietary notices or product identification labels from the Company’s software, maps, and other content, as applicable.
- You may close your account at any time by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We may cancel or suspend your access to CARTO at any time and for any reason, without notice. Upon cancellation or suspension, your right to use CARTO will end immediately.
- We do not give pro-rated refunds for unused time, unless we cancel your service in its entirety without cause.
- Upon termination, you agree to immediately destroy any downloaded or printed materials from CARTO. You may not have access to data that you stored in your User Account. You are responsible for backing up your data that you use with CARTO.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Company (including its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, partners, and employees) from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising from your use of CARTO, your violation of these Terms, any third party terms or conditions described herein, or your violation of any rights of another, including without limitation that the Your Content violates or infringes upon any copyright, trademark, patent or other proprietary right.
In the event any third-party brings a claim against you based upon an allegation that CARTO infringes on a copyright or misappropriates a trade secret of any third party, we will pay all damages and costs (including reasonable legal fees) finally awarded by a court of final appeal attributable to such a claim, provided that you notify us in writing of any such claim as soon as reasonably practicable and allows us to control, and reasonably cooperate with us in the defense of, any such claim and related settlement negotiations.
In connection with such claim, we may (i) procure for you the right to continue using CARTO; (ii) replace or modify CARTO so that it is non-infringing and substantially equivalent in function. If either of those options is not commercially practicable in our reasonable estimation, we will refund the fees that you have paid and cancel access to CARTO.
THIS SECTION SETS FORTH THE COMPANY’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE OBLIGATIONS, AND YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES, WITH RESPECT TO CLAIMS OF INFRINGEMENT OR MISAPPROPRIATION OF THIRD PARTY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.
We shall have no obligation to indemnify you for any claim that is based on (i) your use of CARTO other than as authorized by these Terms; (ii) your failure to use updated or modified versions of CARTO that have been made available to you (iii) your use of the services after receiving notice from the Company to stop doing so in order to avoid infringement or misappropriation; or (iv) the combination, operation or use of the Services with equipment, devices, software, systems, or data that were not supplied by the Company.
17. Government Users
CARTO is a "commercial item," as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. 2.101, consisting of “commercial computer software,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212, and is provided to the U.S. Government only as a commercial end item. Any technical data provided with the Software is commercial technical data as defined in 48 C.F.R. 12.211. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.211 through 12.212, 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, and 48 C.F.R. 252.227-7015, all U.S. Government users acquire the Software with only those rights set forth herein.
- Acknowledgement. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE TERM THE COMPANY INCLUDES CARTODB, INC., VIZZUALITY S.L. AND THE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, AGENTS, AFFILIATES, AND SUBCONTRACTORS OF CARTODB, INC.
- "As Is", "As Available" and "With All Faults". EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH HEREIN, YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF CARTO IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. CARTO AND ITS SOFTWARE, MAPS AND OTHER CONTENT, INCLUDING ANY THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MEDIA, OR OTHER CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE IN CONJUNCTION WITH OR THROUGH CARTO, ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" "AS AVAILABLE", "WITH ALL FAULTS" BASIS AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
- No warranties. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, THE COMPANY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE COMPANY OR THROUGH CARTO, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED HEREIN.
- Service Operation and Non-Company Content. THE COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT CARTO, INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE, MAPS, OR CONTENT OFFERED ON OR THROUGH CARTO OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY CARTO WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS AND DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THE FOREGOING WILL BE CORRECTED.
- Accuracy. THE COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS FROM THE USE OF CARTO OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY CARTO, INCLUDING ANY MAPS RENDERED THEREBY OR GEOCODING RESULTS OBTAINED THEREFROM, IN TERMS OF CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE.
- Harm to Your Computer. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE, ACCESS, DOWNLOAD, OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN SOFTWARE, SERVICES, MAPS, OR CONTENT THROUGH CARTO (INCLUDING RSS FEEDS) OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY CARTO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM) OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOAD OR USE.
19. Limitation of Liability and Damages
- Limitation of Liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE, SHALL THE COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTNERS OR SUPPLIERS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF PROFITS, DATA, OR USE OR COST OF COVER) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR THAT RESULT FROM YOUR USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE CARTO, INCLUDING SOFTWARE, MAPS, CONTENT, USER SUBMISSIONS, OR ANY THIRD PARTY SITES REFERRED TO ON OR BY CARTO, EVEN IF THE COMPANY OR A COMPANY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
- Limitation of Damages. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF THE COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTNERS, LICENSORS, OR SUPPLIERS TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR YOUR USE OF CARTO (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE) EXCEED THE LESSER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS (US$100) OR FEES PAID IN THE PRECEDING TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
- CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF YOU RESIDE IN SUCH A JURISDICTION, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS. THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF WARRANTIES, REMEDIES, OR LIABILITY CONTAINED IN THESE TERMS APPLY TO YOU TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SUCH LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS ARE PERMITTED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE JURISDICTION IN WHICH YOU ARE LOCATED. THE COMPANY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTENT AND CARTO, AND WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT OR CARTO.
- Claim Period. YOU AND THE COMPANY AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS OR RELATED TO THE COMPANY MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES. OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
20. Digital Millennium Copyright Act Compliance
- If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof, and believe that any user submission or other Company content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing our Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works on The Company are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works from the Company;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the Company to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the Company to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- The designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: CARTODB, INC Tel: +1.917.463.3232 Email: email@example.com.
21. Additional Terms
- We reserve the right to modify these Terms at any time by posting the changed Terms on the CARTO website. All changes are effective immediately upon posting. Please check the Terms periodically for changes. Your continued use of CARTO constitutes your binding acceptance of the active Terms.
- All product and service names mentioned herein and in the CARTO interface are trademarks of their respective owners.
- These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New York, NY, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. You agree that any action at law or inequity arising out of or relating to these Terms or we shall be filed only in local and federal courts located in New York County, New York and you hereby consent and submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action.
- A provision of these Terms may be waived only by a written instrument executed by the party entitled to the benefit of such provision.
- Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
- If any provision of these Terms shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
- Each party's failure in its obligation of performance hereunder (except payment obligations) shall be excused or delayed to the extent that such failure is caused by events beyond such party's reasonable control (an event of force majeure). Such events include, without limitation, casualties, natural disasters, terrorism, cyberattacks, Acts of God, civil disturbance, labor disputes, strikes, riots, but expressly excludes market conditions and obligations to pay money. A party claiming the occurrence of such an event shall promptly notify the other party thereof.
- No joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these Terms or use of CARTO.
- You further acknowledge no confidential, fiduciary, contractually implied, or other relationship is created between you and us other than pursuant to these Terms.
- We may assign these Terms, in whole or in part, at any time without notice to you. You may not assign these Terms, or assign, transfer or sublicense your rights hereunder.
- October 19, 2016: Adjustments for conformance to new products and pricing model.
- August 11, 2016: Addition of Location Data Services Addendum.
- July 18, 2016: Adjustments for CARTO.
- March 17, 2016: Addition of Isoline Routing.
- February 3, 2016: Rewrote Terms for clarity and conformance to new Plan options.
- May 20, 2015: Addition of Terms for Government Users, Update of Twitter Maps and Third Party Base Maps language, copyedits to Limits.
- February 11, 2015: Revision of number of rows and file size limits.
- November 7, 2014: Removal of table and map views quota.
- July 16, 2014: Revision after CARTO 3.0 with new pricing model and multi-user.
- December 30, 2013: Added explicit Limitations on Vizzuality's rights with regards to Subscriber Content.
- November 5, 2013: Added pricing for the new batch geocoding service.
- November 29, 2012: Revision after CARTO 2.0 with new pricing models and basemaps.
- September 22, 2011: First version of the document.