All the components from the CARTO stack are packaged in RPM. The
dependencies are bundled with a powerful set of management tools, and
installation and configuration are completely handled by our
CLI (Command Line
These are the CARTO stack components that are installed with our
- PostgreSQL (+ PostGIS): Geospatial Database powering CARTO. It
is required for both the User Data Storage and the Metadata Storage
- Redis: Cached metadata Database, used by most components of the
CARTO application stack to store configuration and cache.
- SQL API: SQL wrapper REST API that provides a node.js based API
for running SQL queries against CARTO. For user documentation, view
- Maps API: Tile server REST API. It provides a node.js based API
that allows you to generate maps based on data hosted in your CARTO
account, by applying custom SQL and CartoCSS to the data. For user
documentation, view https://carto.com/docs/carto-engine/maps-api/.
- Builder: Web mapping application of CARTO. For user
documentation, view https://carto.com/learn/guides.
- Varnish: Cache layer that works as a web application accelerator
and caching HTTP reverse proxy.
- Nginx: Free, open-source, high-performance HTTP server and
reverse proxy server. It is used to proxy and control the behavior
of HTTP requests to backend applications. It’s also used as HTTP
- LDS: Set of Location Data Services offered by CARTO. For more
information, view https://carto.com/developers/data-services-api/.
CARTO On-Premises allows you to make use of a full production-ready
platform with optimal performance by running our stack in one single
instance, or via several distributed instances within your private
You can choose one of our available
tiers depending on
your needs (concurrency, security policies, data volume, data structure