The Data Observatory in numbers
CARTO's Data Observatory brings together thousands of open and premium datasets enabling a wide range of organizations to take the pain out of sourcing spatial data.Explore catalog
Working with spatial data
- Finding the location data I need can take weeks as there are too many providers offering similar data and it’s difficult to assess quality
- Licensing can also be a long and tedious process: I’ll have to negotiate terms with every single data provider
- Enriching my data will be hard as I’ll need to deal with different formats and support geographies
How the Data Observatory can help
- Simple access to public and premium data from vetted sources
- Faster licensing process thanks to existing agreements with leading data providers
- Easy enrichment with data already presented in standardized formats
How does it work?
You can access open and premium datasets from Data Observatory in your own work environment.
For Data Scientists
Discover the most suitable datasets for your analysis, access data, select variables you want to use and enrich your dataframes - all from your Jupyter notebook using CARTOframes.
1from cartoframes.data.observatory import * 2dataset = Dataset.get('ags_sociodemogr_a7e14220') 3variables = dataset.variables 4variables
1[<Variable.get('BLOCKGROUP_30e525a6')> #'Geographic Identifier', 2<Variable.get('POPCY_4534fac4')> #'Population (2019A)', 3<Variable.get('POPCYGRP_3033ef2e')> #'Population in Group Quarters (2019A)', 4<Variable.get('POPCYGRPI_1e42899')> #'Institutional Group Quarters Population (2019A)', 5<Variable.get('AGECY0004_aaae373a')> #'Population age 0-4 (2019A)', 6<Variable.get('AGECY0509_d2d4896c')> #'Population age 5-9 (2019A)', 7...]
Easily bring spatial datasets to CARTO Builder, our drag and drop mapping tool, extract key insights and create lightweight, intuitive dashboards to share across your organization.
Generate custom tilesets from your Data Observatory datasets and integrate them in your spatial analytics apps using our developer toolkit.
Derived • CARTO
Spatial Features - USA (Quadgrid 15)
population, retail, food_drink
Demographics • Instituto Nacional de Estadística
Sociodemographics - Spain (Census Sections)
population_per_sqkm, households_per_sqkm, foreigners_per_sqkm
Demographics • Consumer Data Research Centre
New American Atlas - USA (Census Tract)
Demographics • American Community Survey
Sociodemographics - USA (Census Block Group, 2018, 5yrs)
total_pop, households, median_income, income_per_capita
Points of Interest • OpenStreetMap
Nodes - France (Latitude/Longitude)
Integrate with other tools
Want to access datasets from other platforms via the Data Observatory? Get access to data from BigQuery or contact us to discuss your needs in other platforms, such as Snowflake or AWS.Contact us