How can I get a student account in CARTO?
- You are a student
- You are an educatior
We routinely hear from students, teachers, professors, and university administrators that they’d love to use CARTO in the classroom. Here is how schools and individual students may make use of CARTO:
- Individual Student Accounts. Students can create a free CARTO account via GitHub’s Student Developer Pack. When they sign up for the pack, they’ll also get access to a ton of other free development tools! See eligibility requirements below.
- Educator Accounts. Educators are also eligible for a free CARTO account. Simply create a trial CARTO Account, then request an Educator account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome educators from accredited institutions as well as bootcamps and similar training organizations.
- Enterprise Accounts for Education. Academic researchers and others in the education field, whether at a school, university, independent research center, or boot camp, can make use of CARTO Enterprise at a discount. Contact sales to learn more.
Each free account includes 300MB of storage, standard data connectors, and limited geocoding, routing, and isolines quotas.
GitHub Student Dev Pack - Eligibility
To be eligible, you must:
- be a student aged 13+ and enrolled in a degree or diploma granting course of study
- verify who you are with one of the following:
- a school-issued email address
- provide a valid student identification card
- other official proof of enrollment
GitHub Student Dev Pack - The Process
To verify that only eligible students are accessing CARTO, we take advantage of Github’s verification system. This means you will need to go through their channels to ensure you receive the proper student account:
- sign up for a free Github account, using your university issued email to do so
- apply for the Github Education Pack
- once you apply, Github will need to verify you are, in fact, a student. This could take from 1 hour to several days. Please be patient and wait for your official verification, it is important for the process.
- upon verification, you will receive an email from Github that you have access to the Education Pack
- sign up to CARTO for Students.
If you have any questions regarding Github’s verification process, please reach out to their support team at email@example.com. Please also keep an eye on your spam folder, as your university email policies might route the verification message there.