We often find ourselves needing a simple high speed and decoupled map tile server to generate maps from PostGIS as fast as possible without sacrificing developmental flexibility.
Today we're really pleased to introduce a node.js library called windshaft that makes integrating a simple high speed map tiler with your application as simple as possible.
Windshaft give you:
- Pluggable routing to provide customisable tile API URL endpoints
- Renders all data or data restricted by SQL query
- Generates image and UTFGrid tiles
- Accepts stores serves and applys map styles written in the Carto markup language (same markup as Mapbox Tilemill)
- Serves Infowindow information
- Focus on handling concurrent requests
Being a dynamic map renderer windshaft commits some map server sins in it's raw form but the idea is that you the developer actually want to graft your own auth/metrics/caching/scaling on top of decent core components. Same old story: high cohesion low coupling makes us happy.
To download and start using Windshaft today check out the source on Github