Our highspeed map tiler: Windshaft
We often find ourselves needing a simple high speed and decoupled map tile server to generate maps from PostGIS as fast as possible without sacrificing developmental flexibility.
At the same time we wouldn't be Vizzuality without also >needing >to style these maps with a modern cartographic language.
Today we're really pleased to introduce a node.js library called windshaft that makes integrating a simple high speed map tiler with your application as simple as possible.
Windshaft give you:
- Pluggable routing to provide customisable tile API URL endpoints
- Renders all data or data restricted by SQL query
- Generates image and UTFGrid tiles
- Accepts stores serves and applys map styles written in the Carto markup language (same markup as Mapbox Tilemill)
- Serves Infowindow information
- Focus on handling concurrent requests
Being a dynamic map renderer windshaft commits some map server sins in it's raw form but the idea is that you the developer actually want to graft your own auth/metrics/caching/scaling on top of decent core components. Same old story: high cohesion low coupling makes us happy.
To download and start using Windshaft today check out the source on Github